The Versalis/Lummus Technology diphenyl carbonate (DPC) process produces diphenyl carbonate by reacting dimethyl carbonate with phenol. By-product methanol can be recycled to upstream dimethyl carbonate production. There are no environmental or corrosion issues. Since Lummus Technology also offers the Versalis/Lummus Technology dimethyl carbonate (DMC) process, there are opportunities for energy integration as well when both DMC and DPC are produced.
- High DPC product purity, suitable for high quality polycarbonate production
- No use of chlorinated compounds, environmentally safe, no corrosion
- High phenol conversion per pass, low recycle flows
- Commercially available catalyst
- Can be designed for high capacities
- Extensive heat integration, low energy consumption
- Low investment cost